Scottish welfare system

Now, even though most of you are second years, I bet in your first year you had quite a few of those “l’esprit d’escalier” moments of “bugger, I wish I’d known that/included that” when it comes to your assessment.

They’re even worse when you’re a lecturer.

Anyway, I had one last night, at a meeting, when I learnt that the Scottish Government are currently consulting on the new welfare system for Scotland. As an interested citizen of this devolved state, you may wish to respond to the consultation yourself – clicky here. If you scroll down to the bottom you’ll find the link to the “full consultation” – yes, all 146 pages of it.

Don’t read it. Unless you’re a stickler for punishment. It focuses a lot on technical issues that are dull. You might want to read the first bit about “principles” if you’re doing essay two. You can then compare this response, with the Scottish Government having quite extended powers, to what the Scottish governments managed to do in the first eight years of devolution. You don’t have to, but it’s one way to think through that question.